Saturday 4 February 2012

Torres grateful for support

Chelsea striker admits to tough times at Stamford Bridge

Image text here
Fernando Torres: Has labelled the support he receives from Chelsea fans as amazing

Fernando Torres has admitted he has endured hard times at Chelsea when the support of the club's fans was the only thing giving him hope.
Torres marked a year at Stamford Bridge this week but it was hardly an anniversary to celebrate for the World Cup-winning striker.
The £50million man has scored just five times in 44 Chelsea appearances since his move from Liverpool and is currently on his longest goal drought yet.
Three-and-half months, 17 games, or 1,000-plus minutes - whichever way you look at it, the striker is on course to be remembered as one of the most expensive flops in the history of the game.
But the 27-year-old has revealed one of the greatest memories of his career was off the field when, as a substitute at Wolves, the supporters spontaneously chanted his name.
"I would like things to be much better but the support they give me every day is amazing," Torres told the club's official website.

Still singing

"I remember a game against Wolverhampton and I was on the bench, and they were still singing my name.
"I've been very lucky to live very good moments but that game, when I was in the middle of nothing and not playing, was maybe the best memory I have in all my career.
"At the beginning of the season, I went through a hard moment, I was not playing, things were wrong and I was eight games without playing - I had never been in this situation before.
"The only thing that gave me hope was the support of the people.
"That game against Wolverhampton showed me there are important things to fight for, the love of the fans, the support of the club.
"My team-mates as well but the fans are the ones who have always been there from the first day until now."
Worst miss
While Torres has fond memories of that Wolves game, it is his last match against Sunday's opponents Manchester United that will receive most of the attention this weekend.
Torres was guilty of one of the worst open-goal misses in the history of the Premier League at Old Trafford in September.
But the forward prefers to focus on happier memories against the champions.
"Hopefully, this kind of thing happens once in a life, because it is so hard," said Torres.
"I've had good games against Man U, I scored last time and hopefully we can beat them and get three more points."

No comments:

Post a Comment